All of the questions mentioned above are all valid questions you need answered prior to adding liquid chlorine to your pool.

Pool Opening. It creates dangerous levels of something called Chloramines / Combined Chlorine. Pool Chemical Safety. As Chlorine works killing unwanted germs, sweat, suntan lotions, and what have you. It is intended for use by public health units, health care facilities, child care centres, swimming pool operators, and the general public (e.g., … This is an area of debate, but after being in the pool business since 1999 and clearing up over 700 nasty green and cloudy pools in 3 different states, I can say with much confidence that weekly "shocking" your pool is unnecessary. Always add an acid (pH Decreaser) when using Liquid Chlorine. In a heavily used pool, as much as 90 percent of the chlorine or bromine may be working to eliminate organic impurities, leaving a mere 10 percent to kill germs. HOW TO SHOCK THE POOL (CHLORINATE TO BREAKPOINT) Chloramines / Combined Chlorine If you smell “chlorine”, coming from your pool, what you really smell are combined forms of chlorine, also called chloramines. So no matter which type of Chlorine you have, you know how much to use. What is shocking a swimming pool, and how do I do it!? Chlorine Usage. Required Data Entry The volume of water is (1 to 9,999,999 gallons) gallons. This easy-to-use calculator tells you how much bleach product to dilute with water to get your desired concentration (ppm) of chlorine solution. The main disadvantage with bleach and chlorinating liquid is that it is a very bulky form of chlorine (due to the water) so is inconvenient from a "carrying from the store" point of view and it isn't slow-dissolving so you have to add it every day or two unless you have an opaque-to-UV pool cover in which case you can usually add it twice a week. Sanitise your pool with a heavy treatment of Chlorine, either granular or liquid. You'll need to know your Combined Chlorine reading in parts per million (PPM) before you can use the Shock Calculator. Chlorine Tabs (Tri-Chlor) includes a stabilizer (CYA) to help protect the chemical from burn-off, but Liquid Chlorine does not. Chlorine is the most popular disinfectant for swimming pools. The minimum chlorine amount required for this is 30 ppm. Glossary. Total Chlorine – Shocking Pool / Breakpoint SuperChlorination. To free up a sanitizer to do its primary job—killing germs—it’s always wise to periodically add a supplemental oxidizer, a “shock treatment.” Granular shock is stabilized and comes in a solid form that dissolves in your pool. Free Chlorine is most commonly tested because it represents the amount of chlorine free for disinfecting. There are three main measurements for chlorine, Free Chlorine(FC), Combined Chlorine(CC), ad Total Chlorine(TC). You can use my Pool Calculator to figure this kind of thing out. Shock (Superchlorination) You will need to know the Combined Chlorine reading in PPM before you can use the Shock Calculator. Pool Closing - In-Ground. - 3 Shock - 4 Algae Control. Troubleshooting. gallons. Pool Calculator provides the necessary tools and pool maintenance info you need to keep your swimming pool & hot tub water clear and balanced. Here’s why: Calculate the amount of bleach you need based on the fact that 1 gallon will raise the free chlorine level of 30,000 gallons of water by 2 ppm. How much liquid chlorine to shock a pool with algae? After calculating the pool volume, use the other pool calculators to help balance the other pool chemicals. This tool will tell you what you need to do in order to correctly shock your pool. We shock our pools to kill Chloramines. The Pool Calculator. Before you add the chlorine, you need to know how many gallons of water are in the pool. How to Add Liquid Chlorine to Pool. I have seen 6% bleach labeled "liquid shock' and 12.5% labeled pool chlorine. Stabilized chlorine (liquid chlorine, chlorine tablets, granular shock) is just chlorine with cyanuric acid mixed in. Liquid Chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite) I need to add this much to shock my pool/spa: Raise Chlorine.