I decided long ago I was not a plant person because the list for what was safe was so small and still came with uncertainty for my parrots so I have NO live plants in my house. Though they have a bad rap, poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) plants are only mildly toxic to cats and dogs. POINSETTIAS - You have probably been hearing your entire life that Poinsettias are toxic and will kill any dog, bird or child who eats them. 10 of 10. You've purchased one of your favorite holiday plants, the poinsettia; and as soon as you place it on the table, your feline family member stuck his face in it. The most commonly observed sign of poisonous plant ingestion in birds is some form of gastric or intestinal upset e.g., vomiting and/or diarrhea. While the genus (Euphorbia) to which the poinsettia plant belongs does contain some highly toxic plants, the popular poinsettia itself is not toxic. Shamrock. Although poinsettias are thought to be poisonous to pets, they are not deadly. Birds will chew on and possibly consume plants in the course of play and curiosity. Unsplash. Extensive university research and laboratory testing have shown that poinsettias are not poisonous. Birds will chew on and possibly consume plants in the course of play and curiosity. During the holidays, poinsettias are a popular Christmas plant. You might think having a shamrock plant will bring a little luck into your home—but not for your bird. The colorful bracts are … Few actual studies are available in regard to plant toxicity and specific species of birds and so we should err on the side of caution. Are poinsettias poisonous? Few actual studies are available in regard to plant toxicity and specific species of birds and so we should err on the side of caution. Also, houseplants including philodendron, poinsettia and parsley can produce toxic symptoms in birds. Poinsettia care With proper care, poinsettias can be grown year after year and reach heights up to 3 feet even as a potted specimen. Did you see what Diefenbaker did with the leaf? I have heard from at least three separate sources that they are safe for birds and everyone else. Every holiday, parents worry about their little ones eating poinsettia leaves. Mechanism of action: The milky white sap found in poinsettias contains chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents. Now I have a terrible feeling inside. Poinsettia Plants Are Poisonous And Should Be Kept Away from Children and Pets-Fiction!Summary of eRumor: It’s common around Christmas time for people to warn one another about the alleged toxicity of poinsettias. Many other household plants also contain toxins. The “killer-poinsettia” myth apparently started back in 1919 when an Army officer stationed in Hawaii found their two-year old child dead underneath a poinsettia. P. ParrotletPal Walking the driveway. Many birds naturally eat plants as part of their diet. It is important for owners to be aware of which plants are safe to birds. The reason why poinsettias can be toxic comes from the pesticides used to rid the plants od whiteflies, a common problem for poinsettias. Though they have a bad rap, poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) plants are only mildly toxic to cats and dogs.The milky white sap found in poinsettias contains chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents. The poinsettia, a popular Christmas plant, is not as toxic as it was once thought to be. The sap it produces can be irritating to the mouth and the stomach, but thankfully, it is not fatal. The treatment for plant poisonings is generally symptomatic. The following listing shows plants to keep away from your cockatiel and vice versa. Birds live in trees, so you may wonder how plants can harm your cockatiel, but the fact remains that some plants are toxic to your pet, even if your bird doesn’t know it and may try to nibble it.